Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Not Exactly On My Bucket List: Experience Canadian Healthcare

Well Whistler was good for the soul but not for the sinus. Had to give in knowing I wasn't going to chase this bug away. Really? I can count on one hand how many times I've been this sick the last 20-years. So I wait for a trip of a lifetime, OK, I get it, Be Still and Know.

About 3am I decided, yes, I'm going to the doctor later sure. Gerda, such a friend, drove us to a nearby clinic. Arrived to see a sign that they were "closed until 12:30" with a lobby full. Most clinics closed for lunch anyway, so joined in and had lunch only to return to the next signage saying "closed until 2:30".

OK, so "how does this system really work?" I questioned the staff knowing I'm completely ignorant of the process. Oh, you register about 10-mins prior to the next doctor coming in. OK, got it. So, we go back to Boston's to watch another hockey game and sip on hot herbal tea courtesy of the house. But this time we're going back to the clinic at 2:00 straight up so not to miss the registration thing. Hooray, 2:20 I'm signing in to see the doctor at 4pm. And, wow, I now see why there are like 6 people to sign you in, not a single computer, zippo. Everything done on pen & paper. So super glad I brought a book, because ya know there are no magazines, because they carry germs and other biological-type warfare; noted. After 62 tissues, I get to see the doc. Our intensive examination lasted a second for every tissue. Zip, Zap, here's your antibiotic prescription. Buh-bye.

OK, so I'm being cheeky; it was a busy day and the staff are genius nice. Loads of us are carrying some form of H1N1 on us anymore anyway. So off to the adjoining pharmacy we go. Meds in 15-mins and a new Neti-pot. Speaking of, why am I just now learning of these Neti pots? These contraptions have been around for centuries, yet I've just discovered what a miracle they are. Highly recommend them! But I don't recommend the YouTube video. Somethings, like nasal passages, just don't need to be demonstrated.

So a mere six hours later, sweet friend Gerda picks us up to carry us to our Surrey abode. All medicated up. Good times. Bring on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! May God shine His light on you today!